Naming First Trimester Miscarriages?

So I was blog surfing, and I came across a blog where in her history, the author had told about her two miscarriages in the first trimester... she had named them.  Now, I completely understand naming your child once you know if its a girl or boy, and once you've developed that connection where they are not only aware of you, but you are aware of them (other than the "morning" sickness).  But naming a child that was miscarried before even the second trimester?  I think that sets yourself up for more heartache than necessary if youre naming the embryo.  Now in my case, I wouldn't do that because I now know that as of right now, I am at high risk for miscarriage.  Knowing that, if I were to know that I was pregnant *yay*, I would NOT do anything to get my hopes and dreams any higher than they would already be until I had some form of confirmation that the pregnancy was more stable and not in the danger zone.  Needless to say, I would not be naming my embryo.  It would be like me naming my ectopic embryo that ruptured.  I think I will call it "Max". It just seems a bit odd to me.  Any thoughts?

Update:  Appearantly I need to rename this post because I think people are starting to comment on this topic before they read my actual blog.  Therefore this is being renamed from "Naming Miscarriages" to "Naming first trimester miscarriages."  Though it seems a bit long now.  Thanks a lot.

Also...I am not taking anything away from nicknaming your little embryo.  I know someone who called it their little "peep", and I knew "peanut"s, "diva"s...etc...that seems perfectly normal.  You may now go about your business.

Comments

  1. I didn't know what I was having yet, so I didn't call mine anything; though I did have boy and girl names picked out before I got pregnant. I had read a post on an ectopic pregnancy forum and one lady said she came up with a name that could be for a male or female for the baby she lost. It made her feel better to give it a name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never been pregnant (so I have never had a miscarriage), but I agree with you that naming brings the pregnancy to a whole new level. And then things are still so unsure, I wouldn't name my first-trimester pregnancy either.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ectopic Rupture

My soapbox

PCOS