Prop 8, and the Los Angeles Temple 2008

So, Remember when prop 8 and the whole gay marriage thing was being debated in Cali, and it passed, barely? Well, the day after it passed, myself along with a few friends were planning on going to a swing dancing class out in Pasadena. When we found out that it cost a little more than the money in our pockets, we were already driving south on the 5. We had the radio on listening to the protesting going on at the temple, so someone got the bright idea that we should go there instead and see firsthand what was going on. We make our momma's proud, huh? A bunch of mormon kids going straight into a mormon protest!


Well, we got there, and things were pretty intense. We couldn't go on the sidewalk on the same side as the temple, there were cops in riot uniform everywhere, and the pacific Islander mormons were there keeping us safe, at the same time as trying to pick a fight. It was pretty obvious though that no one wanted to mess with them if they could help it. They were our angels with attitude!



Well, we sat and watched things from across the street at the 7-11 until the protesters decided they were going to march. When they left someone bought a bunch of trash bags at the 7-11 and we went and cleaned up all the trash and semi to non permanent grafitti that was left behind. I will say this for them, I didnt see anything permanent. It was mostly all chalk that was easily washed away with water.



It was really heart breaking and sobering though to see all of this happen right outside a place that we hold very sacred. I heard that one of the cops said " If someone tried to push past me and get on the property, I wont try very hard to stop them. I hope they burn that place down." I dont understand a thought process like that. It really makes me feel so sad! I know that as we were all picking up afterwards, we were trying so hard to make that place look like what it is. A house of God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ectopic Rupture

My soapbox

PCOS